Are you the next BC Summer Reading Club Artist?
The BC Summer Reading Club (BC SRC) invites BC artists and illustrators to submit qualifications to be considered for the next BC SRC Artist.
The selected artist will be responsible for the creation of artwork that visually interprets the annual BC SRC theme for a preteen audience.
This is a high-profile opportunity and exposes the successful candidate’s work to more than 200 public library locations, 180 RBC branches, and 155,000 children and their families throughout BC.
Scope of work:
- Create illustrations for use as a poster
- Create illustrations for use as a reading record (booklet where children can track their summer reading), including seven “sticker”illustrations (these may be derived from artwork)
- Create seven small black-and-white outline illustrations to be used as reading record icons
- Create seven black-and-white colouring pages (usually derived from early sketches)
- Must reside in BC
- Have, within the past 5 years, published illustrations for an audience of children/youth OR, if you are a new or emerging artist, be able to include two references indicating your interest and ability for this audience
- Able to meet with the Planning Committee in Vancouver, in late August/early September
- Able to work collaboratively with Planning Committee
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to provide Graphic Designer with art in vector files
- Able to provide a current photo and bio
- Able to complete artwork by November 30 of the contract year
- Able to attend a poster signing at the BCLA Conference in Metro Vancouver area in spring of contract year
The anticipated project schedule is outlined below. The BC SRC reserves the right to modify these dates.
|Artist meeting with Planning Committee||Last week August/first week September|
|Artwork design||September to November|
|Materials into libraries||End of April|
|Poster signing at BCLA Conference||usually late April or early May|
The copyright of the Material will belong exclusively to the BCLA. The Artist retains copyright of the original artwork and grants BCLA the right to reproduce the artwork for use in any promotional materials (including electronic images).
Contract price: $1750 for artwork and signing event.
The BC Summer Reading Club (BC SRC) is sponsored by the British Columbia Library Association (BCLA) and local public libraries throughout British Columbia, with generous support from the Province of British Columbia, through Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education, and the RBC Foundation.
The BC SRC welcomes the participation of all children and their families, and seeks to provide an accessible and fully inclusive program.
Since 1991, the BC SRC has offered children across BC the opportunity to engage in fun, free summer programming that supports literacy and literate citizenship. The BC SRC supports and promotes BC children’s literature by featuring a BC illustrator each year as the SRC Artist. Previous artists include Jeremy Tankard, Kim La Fave, Cynthia Nugent, Ted Harrison, Mike Deas, Eliska Liska, Shayne Letain, Lee Edward Födi, Darlene Gait, and most recently, Jeff Solway.
Thanks to the talents of these artists, and those of our Graphic Designer, Roger Handling (Terra Firma Digital Arts), we are able to provide appealing and high-quality program materials for children to track their voluntary reading (reading records, bookmarks, posters, stickers).
Each day, throughout the summer, BC libraries connect children and their families with a range of reading materials best suited to their needs and interests, ultimately increasing their enthusiasm for and confidence in reading. The BC Summer Reading Club now reaches over 155,000 children in over 200 communities and neighbourhoods.
Submissions should include:
a) A current CV (link to electronic CV/website bio is acceptable, if current).
b) Letter of interest detailing:
- Interest in the project.
- Availability over the projected time frame.
c) A description or paragraph of the potential approach that the artist would take in realizing the theme (no more than one-page). The theme for 2018 is Movement.
d) JPEG images (max. of 10) demonstrating related experience and ability to undertake this project.
Please send your submission by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete submissions must be no more than 10 MB.
Thank you for your interest. The BC SRC maintains a list of BC children’s book illustrators and each year strives to find one whose style best matches the upcoming theme. We welcome enquiries and expressions of interest from artists throughout the year. We are currently considering artists for the 2018 cycle.