The BC Summer Reading Club is a free literacy program designed to engage school-aged children, ages 5-14, with libraries and reading, throughout the summer. We strive to do so in a way that is fun, educational, inclusive and community-oriented.
Each year, the BC SRC commissions a BC artist to realize our annual theme. Most recently, we’ve had the privilege of working with artists Jami Gigot, Jeff Solway, Darlene Gait, Lee Edward Födi, Shayne Letain, and Jeremy Tankard. We work with a graphic designer and web designer to ensure high-quality, visually-appealing print materials and an interactive website (www.bcsrc.ca).
The program is designed to allow libraries from every part of the Province to plan and deliver the program in the way that best meets the distinctive needs of their communities. All children are invited to join the BC SRC by visiting their local library.
The BC SRC welcomes the participation of all children and their families, and seeks to provide an accessible and fully inclusive program.
The BC SRC is sponsored by the British Columbia Library Association and public libraries throughout British Columbia, with generous support from the Province of British Columbia, through Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education. Additional support is received from Public Library InterLINK and BC Libraries Co-op.
Please consider sending thank-you notes to the Minister of Education, and your library board, letting them know their support is greatly appreciated. Recognize the sponsors in your SRC promotional materials and advertisements — it is with the support of these institutions that public libraries throughout the province are able to provide this unique program to more than 155,000 children in over 200 BC communities.
Many thanks go out to the amazing team members who each contribute to making this program a huge success throughout the province:
Cynthia Ford (Provincial Coordinator, BC Summer Reading Club)
Jennifer Lee and Vancouver Public Library (Committee Co-Chair)
Laura Zaytsoff of Castlegar & District Public Library (Committee Co-Chair)
Emily Olsen of Thompson-Nicola Regional District Library System (Past Co-Chair)
Mehjabeen Ali and Surrey Public Library (Content Creator)
Gina Gaudet and Vancouver Public Library (Content Creator)
Wiena Groenewold and Fraser Valley Regional Library (Content Creator)
Linda Youmans and Okanagan Regional Library System (Content Creator)
Tina Lee and Burnaby Public Library (Content Creator)
Julie Carter and Vancouver Island Regional Library (Content Creator)
Dr. Tess Prendergast, Inclusive Early Literacy (Consultant)
Roger Handling, Terra Firma Digital Arts (Graphic Designer)
Neil Firkins, (Web Design)
Shayne Letain, Rain in Spain Creative Studio (www.kidssrc.ca)
Mari Martin, Director, Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education
Scott Leslie and Jonathan Schatz, BC Libraries Cooperative
Michael Burris and the staff at InterLINK
Angie Ayupova, Manager, BCLA
Annette DeFaveri, Executive Director, BCLA
BC SRC Social Media Policy
It is the policy of the BC Summer Reading Club (@BC_SRC) to ”follow” libraries, library workers, and authors/illustrators/publishers as deemed appropriate by the BC SRC.
Anyone interested in the activities of the BC SRC is welcome to “follow” us on Twitter. If, however, you do not fall into one of the above categories, there is a good chance we will not follow you back. No unfriendliness or Twitter-etiquette breach is intended. Rather, we are careful not to appear to endorse performers/entertainers who might wish to market their productions to libraries. This allows each library community the opportunity to decide for themselves exactly how they will implement the BC SRC program.
At this time, the BC SRC is not on Facebook. Should you have any questions about this policy, please contact: Executive Director, BCLA, Annette DeFaveri (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Goals, Outcomes and Objectives of the BC Summer Reading Club
- engage children in fun, free summer programming that supports literacy and literate citizenship
- connect children with a range of reading materials best suited to their needs and interests, ultimately increasing their enthusiasm for and confidence in reading
- provide appealing and high-quality program materials for children to track their voluntary reading (reading records, bookmarks, posters, stickers)
- provide sufficient quantities of the above materials to all BC libraries at no cost, so that any child who wishes to participate may do so
- build a sense of the BC Summer Reading Club as “place” throughout the province
- increase the qualitative value of feedback through the BC SRC Community Story Award
- increase the quantitative value of feedback through the annual survey
- continue to streamline processes in order to best manage resources
- to increase support and communication for libraries through interactive website
- support and promote BC children’s literature by featuring BC illustrators as SRC Artists
Guiding Principles for approving submissions to bcsrc.ca
As part of its goals and objectives (see above), the BC SRC provides an interactive literacy-based children’s website. Currently, children may submit original stories and, once approved, see them published on the website.
In so doing, we support the creative efforts and literacy development of children. In addition, we are acknowledge our obligation to protect:
- the children who submit their stories
- the Association (BCLA)
- our funders (Ministry of Education, BC libraries)
To that end, we reserve the right to publish or not, edit or not. In addition, we will:
- never publish a child’s last name (even when included with submission)
- not include any obvious identifiers (names of siblings, school, etc.)
Should any submission include any reference to the child being abused, the submission will immediately be reported to the BCLA Executive Director.